Yoga for Hair Growth: Can It Help?
Yoga for Hair Growth
Can it Help?
Read Time: 11 Min
You know yoga is great for relaxing your mind and your body, but did you know that it can influence hair growth too? While hair restoration is a complicated process that requires both lifestyle changes and hair growth therapy, adding yoga to your hair growth routine can help you grow back your hair faster.
What are the Benefits of Yoga?
Yoga might look like breathing exercises and stretching, but there's a whole lot more to it than that. In fact, a regular yoga practice comes with a heap of benefits like:
- Stress Reduction
- Increased Energy
- Injury Protection
- Increased Strength
- Weight Reduction
- Lowered Blood Sugar
- Better Sleep
- Improved Lung Function
- Healthier Hair
With all of these benefits, it's easy to see why adding yoga to your life is excellent for your health and mind. Not only can you use yoga to grow hair, but it is helpful for a number of body functions and emotional processes. But now, let's dive into yoga for hair growth.
Yoga for Controlling Hair Loss
Can yoga control hair loss? Yes! Yoga for hair growth works great if you are looking to find preventive ways to halt hair loss. Yoga can be an excellent way to control your hair loss and even support hair growth.
Is Yoga Effective for Hair Loss?
Yes, the short answer is that yoga is effective for hair loss but maybe not in the way you think. While hair loss has many causes, yoga practice can help reduce stress and encourage blood flow to your scalp.
Yoga Reduces Stress, a Major Cause of Hair Loss
Stress is one of the most common causes of hair loss, and these days, who isn't stressed? When your body is exposed to repeated high-stress situations, traumatic events, or even major surgeries, you can experience telogen effluvium. This hair loss condition is a temporary form of hair loss characterized by extreme hair shedding.
In order to combat these effects, it is essential to manage your stress, and yoga is one of the best ways to do that. The stress-busting benefits of yoga have been studied for years, and scientists believe that yoga enhances your mood, reduces the symptoms of depression, lowers cortisol levels, and supports your management of stressful situations.
- Enhances your Mood
- Reduces Depression Symptoms
- Lowers Cortisol Levels
- Supports Stress Management
Yoga Improves Blood Flow
So why does blood flow matter? Blood flow circulation ensures that your vital organs have the oxygen and vital nutrients necessary to function and operate at their best. Lack of proper circulation comes with a host of side-effects that can affect your health and cause hair loss.
Some of the main side effects you might experience with poor blood circulation are brittle hair, acne breakouts, dark eye circles, and muscle cramps. Proper blood circulation is a critical component of your health. That's where yoga comes in. Yoga is one of the best types of exercise you can do for your blood circulation, as it directly impacts the levels of hemoglobin and red blood cells in your body. When yoga increases these levels, more oxygen is able to flow through and reach your cells, improving their overall functioning.
Yoga Exercises for Hair Growth
Now you know the amazing benefits that yoga can have on your hairline, so you might be wondering where to get started. If you want to explore yoga for hair growth, try out a local class or use an app for at-home yoga classes.
How Can Yoga Increase Hair Growth?
Yoga increases blood flow and oxygen to your scalp by increasing the body's hemoglobin and red blood cells. This process helps increase hair growth.
6 Yoga Poses for Hair Growth
1. Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svansana)
- Start on your hands and knees with your arms aligned with your shoulders.
- Next, gently tuck your toes and push back, lifting your lower body into the air.
- Your arms should frame your face at an angle and hands should be shoulder width apart. Breath in deeply, exhaling your breath through the mouth.
2. Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana)
- Start in a standing pose with your legs apart, one leg behind you about three feet.
- Your front foot should point forwards and your back foot should be flat.
- Inhale as you bring your arms above your head, slowly bringing down the arm that is closest to your extended leg. Continue to bring this arm down, touching the floor (or your shin) while your other arm remains in the air.
3. Child Pose (Balasana)
- Start by sitting on the floor, with your legs curled underneath you.
- Slowly pivot out your knees to either side of the mat, with your toes still touching.
- Next, take an inhale as you lift your arms into the air, slowly bring them back to the mat and stretch them forward, releasing tension on your back. Remain in this pose a sling as is comfortable for your body. If you feel strain on your knees, bring them closer together as you reach forward.
4. Legs up the Wall (Viparita Karani)
- Sit with your left side close to a wall with your legs bent and feet drawn back.
- Slowly swing your legs up against the wall, turning to lie flat on your back with your backside pressed against the wall and your legs straight up.
- Allow your legs to rest on the wall for as long as is comfortable.
5. Wide-Legged Standing Forward Bend (Prasarita Padottanasana)
- Start standing up with your legs about hip width apart.
- Your toes should be angled forward in a comfortable position.
- Next, inhale as you sweep your arms to the sky, then gently exhale
- as you fold forward, touching the ground with your fingers. If this pose is too difficult, you can modify by wrapping your arms and grabbing each of your elbows.
6. Plank to Downward Facing Dog
- Start in plank pose, with your arms strong and your back straight.
- Slowly push back into-downward facing dog, making sure to frame your face with your hands and slowly walk your legs or whatever feels good to you.
Other Hair Growth Treatments
Once you have added yoga to your weekly routine, it's time to consider what other hair loss treatments will work best for you. For one, getting your nutrition in check is essential to healthy hair. Aim to eat a whole foods diet, full of leafy greens, legumes, berries, seeds, and add in fatty fish and eggs. Once your lifestyle has changed to support healthy hair, you can check out other hair loss treatments to encourage faster hair growth. Some of the most popular holistic options are LLLT, hair growth vitamins, and hair growth shampoos.
Hair Growth Vitamins
Another popular alternative for natural hair growth are hair loss vitamins. These vitamins are formulated to increase the nutrients in your body, responsible for hair growth and hair health. There are plenty of options available on the market from vegan formulas, to organic options, and everything in-between. Hair growth vitamins are great for supporting potential nutrient deficiencies, while also including hair growth herbs like horsetail extract and green tea.
Hair Growth Shampoos
Hair growth requires balance, so you want to focus on both inward and outward health. Using a hair growth shampoo can help strengthen your existing hair, improve density and some are designed to block DHT, a hair loss causing hormone. Along with these benefits, hair growth shampoos can support a healthier scalp, which is important to sustain future hair growth.
Hair loss is a complicated and frustrating journey, but it is possible to grow back your hair and improve your health along the way. Adding yoga for hair growth and healthy foods to your daily routine is a great way to get started. Then you can add in hair growth therapies like LLLT and hair growth supplements to increase your results and enjoy healthier, happier hair.
LLLT for Hair Growth
LLLT (low-level laser therapy) is an non-invasive hair therapy that can be used discreetly, at home. LLLT uses laser light to regenerate old hair cells and stimulate new growth. Our illumiflow 272 laser cap is perfect for supporting more advanced hair loss, while our 148 laser cap is best suited for the beginning stages of hair loss. Each laser cap is made of premium grade lakers, FDA cleared, and a natural alternative to medications and surgeries.
Shop illumiflow Laser Caps
Our premier hair restoration laser cap was designed to stop hair loss in its tracks and reinvigorate your natural hair growth patterns. Equipped with 272 laser diodes to provide an impressive 1,360mW of laser energy, the illumiflow 272 offers complete coverage to help you reach your #hairgoals!
Our introductory hair regrowth solution is expertly crafted to prevent continued hair loss and revitalize natural growth. Ideal for those in the early stages of hair loss, the 148 laser diode cap emits 740mW of laser energy, which means you can get back your full head of hair, faster.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Recieve our latest weekly releases, offers, guides and more.