The Complete Guide to Holistic Hair Growth
Why holistic for hair regrowth
Having the right mindset as you start your holistic hair regrowth journey is essential for long term mind, body, and (by extension) hair health. Connecting with others who going through the same struggles on a forum can help keep your journey positive.
Look at the causes
Genetic causes of hair loss95% of people experience natural hair thinning due to aging, or because they’re genetically predisposed to pattern baldness. Other factors can contribute (there is a fuzzy gray line between nature and nurture after all) but chances are your hair difficulties are predisposed.
- Involutional alopecia is natural retirement of hair follicles as you age. Slowly, the Anagen phase (or growth phase) in each follicle is shortened until it no longer grows any hair. This is the most common type of hair loss and causes hair thinning in men and women.
- Androgenic alopecia is typically called male pattern (or sometimes female pattern) baldness and is usually genetic. This is when the hair follicles stop working in a specific M shaped pattern near the front of your scalp. It can happen to men as early as their twenties and to women a little later in life.
- Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease that results in patchy hair loss. This tends to happen in children or young adults under thirty. The issue is not permanent, and within a few years patients begin to regrow their hair.
What does DHT do?DHT is a sex hormone that occurs naturally in the body when testosterone is mutated by an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase. DHT is uniquely responsible for male (and female) pattern baldness because it binds to hair follicles on the scalp and miniaturizes them. This shrinks the follicle’s Anagen stage, as well as the thickness of the hair it grows. For this reason, most successful holistic hair loss treatments such as essential oils and LLLT target DHT and the alpha-5 reductase enzyme.
Other Causes of Hair Loss
- Hair loss from stress is not as common as androgenetic alopecia, but can happen in extreme cases.From chronic stress at work to major hormonal events like childbirth or serious illness can result in hair taking a short break. The clinical term is called Telogen Effluvium, and it causes hair follicles to suddenly go into the resting or Telogen phase. Once you are no longer experiencing stress, your hair should begin to grow back normally. If you feel like work stress is at play in your hair loss, check out our tips here to have a more stress free and hair healthy work life.
- Certain medical conditions like ringworm, lupus, diabetes, and anemia can cause temporary hair loss. Fungal infections at the follicle level and some medications can make hair fall out as well. If the cause is fungal or caused by another medical condition, herbal remedies might help.
- A poor diet, or a calorie restrictive lifestyle can keep hair from growing. Low iron consumption, or an overdose of Vitamin A can also be culprits, that’s why finding the holistic hair growth supplements with the right ingredients is an important step.
- Other types of hair loss can be caused by scarring or burns, hot hair tools, perms, dyes, over-shampooing and other abrasive hair techniques. It can even be caused by a psychological condition that causes manic self-inflicted hair plucking, called trichotillomania. Ouch.
Holistic Treatments for Genetic Causes of Hair Loss
LLLTLow level laser therapy has been studied to treat a number of conditions and has been time and again shown to regrow lost hair. A review of 21 relevant studies (12 of them clinical) showed that LLLT can effectively and safely reverse male and female pattern baldness. Even Consumer reports backed low laser light therapy recently citing unequivocally that it can stimulate hair growth.
SupplementsDiet can play a roll in conquering DHT and regrowing hair. There are a variety of vitamins like biotin, Niacin and B6 that can give follicles the food they need to produce healthy locks. Our list of ingredients to look for in a hair regrowth supplement can help you find the best mix.
Essential OilsEssential oils have been making headway in almost every field as people are discovering their benefits as holistic health aids. Studies that investigate essential oils effect on hair loss have shown that Peppermint oil works as well as Rogaine to regrow hair quickly when applied topically to mice. Other essential oils have been shown to block DHT and a combination of essential oils in a scalp rub can really help.
ExerciseStudies have shown that people who exercise more are less likely to experience hair loss. Exercise pumps blood to the hair follicles and makes sure they’re nourished with oxygen and protein to help hair grow faster and stronger. Make sure to get your heart pumping daily and do some yoga inversions to send more blood to your scalp.
Stress ReliefIt’s true that stress can cause hairloss, but with the type of genetic hairloss you may be experiencing, it’s likely not something you need to worry about. Even so, continuous stress can be toxic to a holistic hair growth plan because everything in your body is connected. What ails your belly may ail your hair and vice versa.
Improved DietFood should be your first medicine, what you eat becomes you, and can affect the health of your skin and hair follicles, as well as the length and strength of individual hairs. Eating whole nutritious foods provides the body with the best possible building blocks for luscious locks.
Create a regrowth plan
Using the SMART goals system is a good way to achieve any goal that requires persistence and maintenance. You should be specific about your goals, and make sure they are both measurable and achievable. Rather than focusing on monotonous daily tasks, you should be results focused, and make sure you have deadlines or at least a check-in date on which you will monitor results.
Be SpecificMake sure your goal answers three questions, What? Why? And How?Example: I want to feel confident again, so I will revitalize my hair follicles by using holistic products that attack the production of DHT.
Have Measurable GoalsEvery goal should have it’s own yardstick. Make sure you will know when you have accomplished it. What does regrowth mean? Maybe for you it’s a full head of hair, longer hair, or thicker hair, and you want it by this day next year.
Make sure your goals are AchievableA good goal is one that is actually possible. You can’t grow back all of your hair by tomorrow, simply because the human hair growth cycle takes way longer than that. Consider that hair grows about 0.014 inches a day when you make your goal.
Be Results FocusedYour goal should state what the result will look like in very specific terms. This makes it more black and white when it comes to deciding whether the goal has been met or not.
Have Time LimitsWrite down the exact day that you want to hit your goal, even if it seems arbitrary at the time. If it isn’t time-bound, it’s not really measurable, which mean it’s not really a SMART goal.
Commit and get started
If you want to embark on a holistic hair regrowth journey just know you’re not alone and we’re here to support you. There are so many options to consider from laser hair systems to balms and oils, lifestyle changes to supplements and just one may not work on its own. By making a concerted and thoughtful attempt at finding out what combination of treatments works for your hair follicles you may find your own unique solution for positive holistic hair regrowth.